Safe Water Sources - When you run out of your Emergency Water Supply at Home...
Updated: Sep 2, 2019
If you have exhausted all of your stored Emergency Water Supply during a natural or man-made disaster, here are some sources of safe drinking water that you can find at home:
1. If your water heater has a faucet on it, you can drain the water from it if the water heater has not been damaged.
2. You can use the water found in the tank of your toilet. Please do NOT use the water in the toilet bowl! The tank is the square porcelain container in the back of the toilet. Make sure to boil the water or use water purification tablets to disinfect the water before using it.
3. Look in the ice tray of your freezer for water that accumulated from any melted ice cubes.
4. Drink any liquids from canned fruit and vegetables.
5. This is NOT for drinking. Use pool or spa water with soap, shampoo or detergent to take a bath, wash your hair or wash your clothes.
When disinfecting water, it is best to boil it for at least one minute to kill the germs and parasites. If you cannot boil the water, use water purification tablets or chlorine dioxide liquid solution.
Here are links to some popular water purification tablets found on Amazon. You will want to see the reviews to decide which one of the many brands to choose.